Monday, March 1, 2010

Walker


Alice Neel, American 1900-1984

Charlotte Willard 1967

Oil on canvas

Collection Walker Art Center

I enjoyed how the room, Benches, and Binoculars were set up. With some of the paintings placed high on the walls the viewer has to look through the binoculars to see the details in some of the paintings.

I picked this piece because I really enjoy portraiture and the vibrancy of this particular painting caught my eye. There are layers and layers of color, such as the pinks and reds of the chair, the washes of blues and greens on the wall, and even the hints of blues and olives in her skin tone it very interesting. There is also great use of textures, such as the striped leggings or the mountain of curls atop her head. I also enjoyed this piece because of her subject matter, the way the woman, Charlotte is sitting and making eye contact with the viewer gives the impression that she is listening to the viewer or they are involved in a conversation.

Her expression I can’t figure out, it maybe it is the face of satisfaction or quiet listening. Her interesting look makes her into a character, she is a slightly older woman who is wearing slightly large pieces of jewelry and, I can’t tell, she may also be wearing a wig. Suggesting that maybe her personality is a little over the top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment