Thursday, May 13, 2010


Final Portfolio Blog:

Brief Assessment of Achieved Objectives:

I feel that I accomplished many if not all of the curse objectives, such as translating a three-dimensional form to a two-dimensional picture plane; this was achieved when I observed the model in class and the shell outside of class. As far as comprehending the subject’s planar make-up, I feel I do have a better understanding now than I did at the start of class, but I also know that this is a skill I will improve with more time and more practice. I show a comprehension of planar make-up in my shell drawings; each time I revisited the subject I found new information to include in my drawing.  Using a linear approach opposed to a painterly one was difficult for me at first, but I definitely have gained a better understanding of how to do this through practice and critique, it has been beneficial for my work and allows for great detail.

I have accomplished a well-crafted clay model, I spent a great deal of time working on my model and it has helped me understand muscle structure. For example, I now know the leg has attachments higher up in the torso than I had originally thought, I worked on expressing this knowledge in my work by drawing the leg in the proper fashion so it appears more connected to the body. I have begun to utilize anatomical landmarks such as the sternum and the hipbones to distinguish where the plane changes will occur.

My mark making skills have improved as well, I am certain that this confidence has come from practicing both the gesture and contour drawings and I will continue to improve as I do more of this type of work. I also participated in class discussions, critiques and blogged about my experience.

 Improvements since Midterms:

I improved in the second half of the course after receiving feedback that I should show more cross-contours; I began to focus on that in my drawings. This conscious consideration can be seen in my last shell drawing, because the ink in my third shell drawing washed out many of my lines I took a more heavy handed approach than I normally would to ensure my line work would show up through the wash of color. I also tried a few different variations of my drawing style since I have always enjoyed drawings with a sketchy quality I tried be looser with my lines.

I was also asked to pay more attention to where the muscles attach throughout the body, in particular the pelvic region. I reworked my mannequin using additional information from an anatomy reference book and was able to see how all of the muscles grouped together to form the larger mass that I would be drawing.

How I will use what I have learned:

            I will use what I learned in this class to benefit me in my remaining studio classes at Stout, such as being able to include realistic figures in my work for my printmaking course. I will also continue to refine my drawing skills using my new knowledge from this class to complete an entire body of work for my senior show next spring.             

            Since I am an Art Education major, I have selected drawing as my concentration because I feel it is the underlying skill for so many other forms of art, and in order to instruct properly I must be able to express myself visually. This course has improved my observational skills, in that I have definitely discovered visual cues on the human form I wasn’t aware of before.  Gaining an understanding of the plane changes is what has been most beneficial for me as an artist. I feel more confident in my ability to draw the human figure, which is important for me because almost all of my work calls for human imagery. I will also be able to explain the figure to my students as well as help them make corrections in their own work. 


http://www.flickr.com/photos/50154511@N02/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50154511@N02/sets/72157624051631476/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50154511@N02/sets/72157623927323009/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50154511@N02/sets/72157624051726504/


No comments:

Post a Comment