Sunday, May 2, 2010



Drawing from the previous week

Last week we focused on drawing the human hands. In small groups we took turns modeling and drawing hands. I found it to be very difficult; each finger has three different large plane changes and then smaller less obvious plane changes within those. I spent a lot of the time trying to decipher the negative space between the fingers and feel did fairly well on that part. The part I had the most difficulty with was the plane change from the thumb to fleshy part of the palm; I also didn’t understand the foreshortening of the thumb. Amy was able to help me see how the thumb really looked to the viewer, as well as the planes on the side of the hands. I think I will be able to do this when I overemphasize the planes. I was also having difficulty with the nails; I felt they looked too feminine for the male hands I was drawing. To draw a more masculine nail I widened them at the tips and squared them off at the ends. 

1 comment: